The NJ CCW Permit has some pre-requisites. Here is a simplified guide of the preliminary things you’ll need before you apply:
How to Obtain My NJ CCW
- REQUIRED: NJ FID Card (New Jersey Firearms ID card) Don’t have one yet? Click here!
- REQUIRED: Handgun. Don’t own a handgun? Click here to get a pistol purchase permit?
- Not sure what gun to purchase? We have over 150 firearms available for rent, or you can join us our FREE ‘How To Shop for a Gun Class’. Click here!
- Holster: Browse our Webstore for the best holsters! Click here!
- Are you new to CCW? Take a NJ CCW Certification Class. Click here
- Looking for the live-fire qualification for a CCW Permit? Click here!
- Always consider that being a CCW permit holder comes with responsibilities, and continuous training is one of them. Become a WESHOOT Member, take advantage of our facilities and highly qualified instructors, and get amazing promos all year round.
Click here to view Memberships!
REQUIRED PAPERWORK FOR APPLYING:
- Contact your local Police Department, get a case number for your fingerprints, and schedule a fingerprint appointment thru NJSP Firearms Licensing (identigo) . Use THE FOLLOWING CATEGORY: FIR and the SERVICE CODE: 2F164B
- Fill out the State of New Jersey Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun, also known as the S.P. 642. You’ll need 3 sets, all of them must contain original signatures and be notarized. Click here to Fill out the form online. Scroll down to the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/Application To Purchase A Handgun, and choose the S.P. 042 form
- Fill out the Consent for Mental Health Records Search, also known as the S.P. 66. Please request it at the Police Department at the time you submit your application.
- Copy of Certificates of training that prove you are thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns (NRA Basic pistol or similar), Certificate of completion of a USE OF FORCE CLASS
- Recent (max 3 months) Live Shooting Qualification with a passing score, by a recognized certified Firearms Instructor.
- Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to State of New Jersey – Treasurer
- Four photographs of the applicant, one and a half-inch square, head and shoulders, no hat, light background, taken within the last 30 days
- Submit all the required paperwork to your local Police Department.
For non-residents, please check with the State Police on where your application needs to be submitted.
You can also download the quick guide on how to file for the NJ CCW Application, click this link, and scroll down to PERMIT TO CARRY, and download the Permit to Carry Instructions.